UUSCM BCCi Faith Endorsement Process
The UUSCM Faith Endorsement is a focused assessment of Unitarian Universalists seeking endorsement for BCCi certification.
The UUSCM created the Faith Endorsement for BCCi in collaboration with the UUA to provide UU’s who are called to professional chaplaincy with an option for endorsement that does not also require receiving fellowship from the UUA Ministerial Fellowship Committee. The UUSCM Faith Endorsement is strictly applicable for the purpose of achieving BCCi certification as a professional chaplain or pursuing the ACPE education required for BCCi certification.
Applicants for UUSCM Faith Endorsement must complete and submit a series of requirements that demonstrate their active engagement with the UU faith, awareness and knowledge of UU values and identity, and a commitment to live into those values as a BCCi chaplain.
The requirements include essays about UU engagement and identity, passing a real-time interview with the UUSCM Endorsement Panel, and a demonstration of a commitment and progress towards preparation as a professional chaplain.
Endorsements granted by UUSCM are granted for a period of five (5) years before a renewal process is required, coinciding with the 5 year review and evaluation process required to maintain BCCi certification. Endorsed Chaplains are required to meet ongoing UUSCM requirements and be renewed periodically.
These requirements are established by the UUSCM and are subject to change. Please complete the UUSCM Endorsement Inquiry & Registration or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the latest Faith Endorsement information.
NOTE from 2022: We have replaced "UU Lay Chaplain" with "UU Professional Chaplain".
Schedule of Interviews
Spring Interview Cycle
February 1 - Deadline for Faith Endorsement consideration for Spring Interviews
March 1 - Notification to Applications regarding application and interview dates
March/April - Scheduled interview date with the UUSCM Endorsement Panel. These will happen via Zoom until further notice.
May 15 - Notification of Faith Endorsement decision.
Fall Interview Cycle
August 1 - Deadline for Faith Endorsement consideration for Fall Interviews
September 1 - Notification to Applications regarding application and interview dates
September/October - Scheduled interview date with the UUSCM Endorsement Panel. These will happen via Zoom until further notice.
November 15 - Notification of Faith Endorsement decision.
Stage 1: Endorsement Application Requirements
● Current UUSCM Membership
● Sponsoring Congregational Letter of Affiliation and Covenant of Right Relationship
● Personal Statement demonstrating grounding and knowledge in Unitarian Universalism (Maximum 500 words)
● Required Coursework related to Unitarian Universalism
● Required Unitarian Universalist Reading
● Complete Endorsement Application Form
● Attending real-time Endorsement Interview
● Documentation of completing, or progress towards, BCCi/APC requirements
● Statement of progress and anticipated plan towards completing requirements
● Copy of a clinical contact/verbatim
● Copy of academic transcripts
● Application Fee of $150 USD. A financial hardship reduced fee of $50.00 USD with a financial hardship is available upon request.
● Optional but encouraged: Engage with a UUSCM Chaplain Mentor.
Stage 2: Endorsement Interview & Decision
● Candidates who meet the application requirements will be invited for a real-time interview
● Interview will focus on your commitment to Unitarian Universalism, and your capacity to represent Unitarian Universalism beyond the congregational setting.
● Post-Interview candidates will receive a phone call informing them of the endorsement panel decision within 48 hours. An email documenting the decision will follow.
● Panel decisions are as follows:
● Endorsement Granted. No further action required.
● Endorsement Provisionally Granted. Additional work to address concerns must be completed.
● Endorsement Delayed. Additional work and a second interview are required.
● Endorsement Denied. You may appeal the decision through the UUSCM Good Officer.
Stage 3: Maintaining Endorsement
● UUSCM will directly inform BCCi/APC of your Unitarian Universalist Faith Endorsement.
● Adhere to the UUSCM Code of Ethics
● Maintaining your Congregational Affiliation. Provide any changes to your affiliation to UUSCM.
● Notify UUSCM of any changes to your BCCi/APC status.
● Renewal Application.
● Optional but encouraged: UUSCM Chaplain Mentor, Chaplain Commissioning Ceremony
Historically Marginalized Identities
UUSCM is committed to removing barriers faced by individuals who have been historically marginalized as a result of their identity. Candidates are encouraged to contact UUSCM should they experience a barrier, provide details of barrier, and provide a proposed alternative that would satisfy the spirit and requirements of the UUSCM Credentialed Chaplain endorsement process.
UUSCM holds all endorsed chaplains to the UUSCM Code of Ethics and requirements for maintaining endorsement. In the event of a sustained grievance against an endorsement chaplain, UUSCM may determine consequences including revoking endorsement privileges. Please contact UUSCM email@example.com regarding any grievance or questions about the process.
BCCi Faith Endorsement Requirement
BCCi values the work of discernment and endorsement undertaken by the many spiritual and faith groups who prepare and support leaders for service within their organizations and as public representatives. We look to our endorsers for confirmation of certified chaplain’s spiritual/religious identities and practices. For more information about BCCi, please visit https://bcci.professionalchaplains.org/.
Endorsement Process Panelists
Rev. Justin William Almeida (he/they)
Veterans Administration of Puget Sound
Rev. John Cooper (he/him)
Huntsman Cancer Institute
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reverend Jennifer S Dant, MDiv, BCC (she/her)
Staff Chaplain, Naples Community Healthcare System
Rev. Rebekah Ingram (she/her)
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
East Walpole, Massachusetts
Rev. Kelly Spahr (she/her)
Lifetime Home Care and Hospice
Rochester, New York